August 31, 2010

Perfect Run with Cleaned-up GU!

If you know me, you know I love running.  And food.  Real food.  So when I get and idea that combines blogging about running AND food, I get super giddy.

You should see me now.  Giddy!

1/2 Marathon Goodness
I first discovered Gu during mile 8 of my first ever race, the 13.1Boston, half marathon. Sure, you aren't really *supposed* to try new things during a race, but since the race was new I figured what the heck, except that I did actually have a conflict of conscience.  Yes, at mile 8 in the middle of running my heart out, I ACTUALLY turned over the packet of chocolatey goodness and read the ingredients list.

And then I ate it anyway.

And it was good.  Like pep in my step good for the next 5 miles to the finish. Ok, some of that was my own adrenaline, but still.

I am training again for my next half-marathon in October in Newport, RI where I get to run IRL with one my virtual running buddies...something that ALSO makes me giddy!  So in preparation, I bought a boat load of Gu's.  Somewhat reluctantly. Just somewhat this time.  Oh that chocolatey goodness lured me in! Again!  Besides is one little gel shot of ingredients like what is written on the back of my Chocolate Outrage....
Maltodextrin (glucose polymers), filtered water, fructose, Unsweetened Belgian Chocolate, GU amino blend, (Leucine, Valine, Histidine, Isoleucine), GU antioxidant blend (Natural Vitamin E and Vitamin C), Potassium and Sodium citrate, Calcium carbonate, Sea salt, Citric acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Fumeric acid, GU herbal blend [chamomile, cola nut (has caffeine), ginger], Malic acid, Calcium Chloride, Pectin
.....*really* going to make that much of a difference? Belgian Chocolate, yum! But, yeah, that's more than my 6 ingredient rule.  I don't think Gu actually counts as "food."  And what about my cheapass status. $1.25 (sale) for one of these 100 calorie bad boys?  There has, HAS to be away to improve on this.

And then one of those convergence of ideas came into being.  After reading Born to Run and then reminded over at runluaurun about the chia frescas that the Tarahumara drank which included chia seeds, lime juice, honey and water, I decided to try it myself, but just the honey and water...Mostly because I don't have chias or limes in the house right now.  Or ever, really.  Ok, maybe limes.  For Coronas....I mean cooking.

Now, I can't say that it was just the honey water alone that made the difference...it was like a perfect storm of perfect run.

Here is what happened: Saturday mornings are my typical long runs, like double digits.  But this week, since transitioning to VibramsFiveFingers during the week, my calves were wicked tight Saturday morning.  I decided to take an extra day of rest and ran 10 miles Sunday morning.

O.M.G!  I don't think there could be anything better about this run. The temp was perfect. The roads were perfect. My legs were fresh. The zune was crankin' some good tunage.  Every runner/walker - repeat - Every runner I ran past said "good morning" or "hi".  I don't think that has EVER happened.  1/2 way through I was thinking this could actually be the perfect run, but I didn't want to jinx it. Before leaving, I loaded up my fuel belt with my 4 bottles, 2 with water, and 2 with honey water (1 Tablespoon of honey to my 6oz of water). I never gu'ed. I never needed to. AMAZING!

With a mile and a half to go, I actually yelled at the street sign at my turn "That's all you got!" I guess you can add crazy runner to my freak list now too.

Maybe it was the honey water.  Maybe it was the good night sleep, perfect temps, fresh legs, happy running. Who knows.  But I do know that I am definitely adding honey water to my tool box of natural energizers.

Thank you bees, flowers and keepers.  You made my Sunday morning extra special this week.

Honey, my new Gu.

2 comments:

Delane said...

In hot weather I recommend Coconut water for electrolytes. Its way better than any sort of "aide"

Luau said...

I loves the honey water! Thanks for the shout out!