August 15, 2011

Cold Summer Squash Soup - For Real this time



The other day I put up a picture of all our squash to force me to give an update with the soup I was planning on making.  It worked, I did make the soup.  I am not sure which was more exciting, using up some of those up there or using the immersion blender again. That thing is a dream!

Actually I really was trying to figure out what else to do with all this squash. Here's somethings we've done:
Stir fry with butter.
Grilled.
Steamed.
Squash with marinara, pasta  & Parmesan cheese.Yum.
Given them away. 

Even since this picture was taken, I've had to pick about 3 more. Yes, I really do think you can sit and watch them grow.

So it was quite a blessing when I saw a cold zucchini soup recipe pop up on my facebook feed through Food, Inc and Takepart.com.  This comes from Two Kitchens.

Cold Squash Soup
1 tbl or so of olive oil and some butter
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 zucchini or summer squash , or a mix (I used some zephyr squash, thinking they were kinda already mixed ) 
4 cups broth
sour cream for garnish
Immersion blender.

In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil and/or butter until they're brown.
Add zucchini and summer squash, toss with the onions. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover, lower heat to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes, until zucchini are tender.

Let cool to lukewarm and blend. Serve lukewarm or cold. Garnish with sour cream.
_____

Zucchini, yellow squash, zephyr squash
Browning the onions

Adding the squash
Broth & the immersion blender

With yogurt - I didn't have sour cream.
In hindsight, I wish I did have sour cream....
 __________
Ok, a couple things.  I didn't really care for this soup as I made it.  I didn't like it cold and I don't think the zephyr squash was the best idea. Nor the yogurt.  I wish I hadn't used that.  BUT I did change it up and as leftovers I had the soup hot, and added Parmesan cheese and it was pretty good.  I tried cheddar and didn't think that worked too well, but the parm...ok. I did not try it with sour cream, maybe that was my downfall. 



No comments: