Fresh food and a fresh start.
It's Friday! And another edition of Friday's Drawers, one that I am actually posting. *gasp*
And I can report that not only has this share been pic'd and posted, many of the items have been prepared too. *double gasp*
What did we do?
- Veggie, chard noodle soup with homemade chicken broth, (See the broth in the background) celery, carrots, and some of the chard at the end.
- Roasted beets tossed with olive oil in a 400 degree oven until tender (about 45min-1hour)
- Tuna sandwich with crunchy celery for dinner.
- Snacked on pears too! yum!
What will I do with the rest?
- I have some kale in our garden so I am thinking I'll do this potato kale recipe or adapt it.
- I love eggs with chard and a little salsa or ketchup, yes I know, but I like them that way.
- I think I have some carrots left, so I'll attempt a slaw with that cabbage. In the mean time, I've been digging this purple cabbage recipe from last week's share.
Red (Did I say purple? It looks purple) Cabbage & ApplesIngredients
1T canola oil
1 head of shredded red cabbage
1 tart apple - peeled, cored and chopped
1 T water
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 T white sugar or honey
1 T cider vinegar
1. Heat oil in a medium size saucepan. Stir in cabbage and onion; fry until wilted. Stir in apple and water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes.
2. Pour vinegar and sugar into the mixture while tasting for desired sweet and sour taste. Cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
(adapted from allrecipes.com)