November 18, 2010

Gourd-geous


Simon: Is that a gourd?
Me: (Shocked look on my face) Why, yes, Simon it is.
Simon: I love gourds. 

Well then. 

This must be a kindergarten thing, because this is the first fall where I have actually cooked myself, so I am not sure where his love of gourds comes from. 

But now, I am learning all these new ways to prepare these gourd-geous gourds. And that's a good thing, because we seem to get a lot of them in our farm share!

I remember my mom making baked acorn squash when I was a kid, so I figured this would be a good one to do. It smelled amazing in the house!


Ingredients
3 Acorn Squash, cut in half and seeded
1/2 stick of butter
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/3 c. apple cider
1tsp cinnamon
salt & pepper

Directions
Place the squash cut side down in a shallow baking pan and fill with about 2 inches of hot water. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.

On the stove in a small sauce pan, melt 1/2 stick of butter, stir in 1/3 cup apple cider, 1/3 cup maple syrup and tsp of cinnamon. Bring to a boil then simmer for 4-5 minutes.

Remove the sqaush, dump the water, flip them cut side up. Add salt & pepper to taste. Drizzle or brush the sweet concoction on the squash then pour the rest in the little wells.

Bake for another 20 minutes until tender and lightly browned.

Oh.my.yum.

You can also use little grated ginger, orange zest and brown sugar in place of the maple syrup, but I went with simple and what I had on hand. 

Makes 6 servings, 165 cals/24g carbs/8g fat/2g protein

4 comments:

Johanna said...

I get irregular deliveries of produce from my "MSA" (Mom Supported Agriculture), aka her garden. The last one had a whole basket of acorn and butternut squash and I love it! I've been microwaving the acorn squash halves to accompany many meals. Last night I peel, cubed and roasted 2 butternut squash. (A little olive oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg). I could pretty much eat the entire gigantic pan of it but don't because I want leftovers. It's so amazingly delicious on it's own that I don't want to make it into soup or anything else!

Yay for squash! And one smart kid that knows it by age of 5!

Simply Life said...

I love that he knew what this was and am impressed you knew what to do with it! I wouldn't know where to begin, but now I want to eat this! :)
~Gina :)

Christy Z. said...

Oooo yum! MSA's are the best! But butternut squash is so good too! We got 3 more butternut in our share this week, so I think some will get roasted, some into soup and maybe even some roasted ant then in soup for a more smokey flavor.

Thanks Gina! I found your blog through Molly's and it is fantastic! I can't wait to read more!

gba_gf said...

Yum! This is one that my mother used to make for me too!!! This is a staple in my house, and sometimes we use honey or brown sugar for a change. (and we LOVE butternut squash too - peel it, toss it in 1Tb of Olive oil, spread on a baking pan and roast @ 375 degrees until done... salt/pepper to taste.)