March 24, 2010

Chard. Like Chardonnay? No, Ch-ch-chard.

I've never met a Swiss Chard I didn't like.

Ok, so I've only had it once.  

But...

I will have it again.  


This one, even the kids ate.  Yeah, I know!  The syrup helped.


Sweet and Spicy Chard (adapted from allrecipes.com)


Ingredients

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch of chard - leaves and stems separated and chopped 
1/3 chopped yellow onion
2 slices of fresh ginger root (about the size of tip of your thumb) peeled and julienned. (And yes, I had to google "julienned" - It means cut into really really skinny long strips.)
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp maple syrup  (Ok, confession time....we don't have maple syrup. yet. I won't buy it until the boat-load of HFCS* infested Aunt Jemima from BJs is gone. CheapAssMama won over cleaner eating on this one.)


Directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chopped stems, onion and ginger in the hot oil until they begin to soften; add the salt & pepper.  Add the leaves to the skillet and turn heat down to low. Cook until the leaves are wilted - about 2 minutes.  Drizzle the syrup over the mixture; stir to coat evenly.  Remove from heat and serve. 

The kids had this one with grilled cheese sandwiches.  I told you we still have to work in sammmiches.  Eh, at least they got a vegetable in. 



The tally....

NI: 60cals/3.5g fat/4g fiber
Cost: $.59/per serving

*High-fructose corn syrup 

No comments: