March 23, 2010

They like it!

There is nothing worse than cooking up a delicious meal only to have your kids say: "Can I have a peanut butter sandwich?"

Ok, yes, there are worse things, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, there are a few things I've learned that help avoid the meal protests....

1. The kids help plan the weekly menu. This includes the occasional pb sandwich.

2. We include fruit when we can. Apples are good.

3. If they don't like it, I don't take it personally. Eh, I can always have it for lunch the next day.  Plus this is just as new to them as it is to me!  No more DinoNuggets?  What?


Tonight's dinner was one of those quick, yummy meals the kids do like. Trader Joe's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage with our Enterprise Farm's CSA apples over rice. 

Sliced up TJs Sausage sauteed in a pan with some canola oil (one of the "good" oils)
1 chopped Apple - we used a locally grown CSA apple
1/4 cup apple juice (or cider vinegar)
Served over rice (from the pantry - Next we'll try quinoa, but taking it one step at a time with the kiddos.)

I also had a Ready Pac salad from BJs with cranberries and  white balsamic dressing.


Sausage NI: 120cals/6g fat/0 fiber/11g protein
Total Prep and Cooking time - 20 minutes

And since I didn't get the CheapAssMama nickname for nuttin' (thank you CheapyD)...

Total Meal Cost: $4.49 and there are leftovers for the kid's lunch tomorrow. 

1 comment: