March 26, 2010

Has anyone seen my Birkenstocks? I smell granola. Not patchouli.


Cliché alert. 

I learned how to make granola at Oberlin

I know.  It is really a rite of passage.  Along with not shaving. Except your head.  *Bzzzt*

Anyway, I learned how to make it, but I haven't actually made it in (oh, good crikey!) umpteen years. Until about two weeks ago. It was like riding a bicycle.... A fish without a bicycle....oh nevermind. 

This.is.officially.a.staple.

The other nice thing about granola, you can experiment and it rarely turns out bad.  Toasted oats and a little sweet.  

Here is how I made it last night.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients
8 c. Rolled Oats (We accidentally got 1-minute Quaker oats and these worked very well too.)
1 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. canola oil (I have used butter instead)
3/4 c. honey or maple syrup (or HFCS infested Aunt Jemima...ya know, if you're *ahem* trying to use it up.)
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Almonds
Craisins
Raisins

Directions
On medium-high, heat up the oil, honey (or syrup), water and vanilla in a pot until thin.  With a wooden spoon, stir in the oats, flour salt and cinnamon until the oats are coated and look moist.  Yup, *moist* IS a funny word. 

Spread the mixture on a cookie sheet, crumbling the clumps of oats.  Pop it into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes - turning the granola every 10 minutes with a spatula.   During the last 10 minutes, add dried fruit and nuts if you want. 

Breakfast these days for me is granola mixed in with fat-free greek yogurt (Chobani honey, peach or strawberry are my favs and cheapassmama tip... stock up by the case when they are $1.00)

Since portion control is an issue for me, I put a 1/2 cup container in with the granola and when I have it with my breakfast, I store it in a little 1/2 cup container.  And yes, the handful walking past the pantry is oh so tempting!  

Oh and seriously, re: Birkenstocks.  I have at least 4 pairs and I can't seem to find them anywhere.  I think they are in a box in David's mom's attic. Maybe. 

Tally....
NI: Approx. 225cal/15g fat/4g fiber/7g protein per 1/2 cup
Cost: Varies...here Approx. $3.83 for the batch, so $.20 per serving.

2 comments:

DebKAtkins said...

Sounds delicious! I always try to add some wheat germ and/or flax seed meal for added nutrition. Last time I added some shredded coconut that had been in the freezer and needed to be used. Yum!

Christy Z. said...

Just made another batch this evening...this time I used barley flour and added about a cup and a half of non-fat dry milk for a little more protein. I also used brown sugar/water for the sweet. So as you can see, granola is wicked flexible. The house smells awesome!

I need to do the coconut next time!