October 01, 2010

Friday's Drawers - Acorny question

Now THIS is a good fall box.  There are still openings for an East Coast share with Enterprise Produce....just sayin'.

I see borcht, vegetable stew, potato/apple/dandelion green concoction in our future....

But I also see those yummy acorn squash over there.  Mmmmmm.....

Now this is a question for all the WeWa peeps. See, we get vegetables for "free" - zero points, right?  And summer squash and zucchini fall into those zero point range (Whoo hoo!) Winter squash on the other hand is one of the random veggies like corn, cooked carrots, lima beans (STILL don't like those. blech.) that costs me a point. Dang it!

But wait...

According to wikipedia, the entry for acorn squash says....

"Although considered a winter squash, acorn squash belongs to the same species as all 'summer' squashes"

I don't do WeWa online, so I can't look it up.  Really, I am just curious.  It isn't like one extra point of squash is going to stop me from still enjoying IT, the buttah on IT or that extra swig of "mama's favorite soda."

ooooh oooooh ooooh!!

*lightbulb moment*

Do you think Pumpkin Beer counts towards my veggies?

Probably not, huh?

Here is what I am going to do with the acorn squash tonight, add some quinoa and and enjoy with said pumpkin beer a.k.a. "Mama's favorite soda."

Baked Acorn Squash
1 acorn squash, cut in 1/2
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Scoop the seeds and stringy pulp out of the squash cavities and discard. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt and pepper, to taste. Rub the squash cavities and cut sides of the squash with the butter mixture and place them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Serve 1 half per person.

2 comments:

Amy F. said...

I looked up acorn squash while tracking online today and here's the deal:
3pts for an entire med acorn squash raw
1pt for 1c acorn squash cooked

Unfortunately pumpkin beer seems to fall in the same category as dandelion wine. ;^)

Delane said...

Corn is a whole grain. I count corn.

I do not count squah, of any kind. I don't count point for vegetables unless i've eaten over 8 servings. Then I start counting them.

Unless a wewa referee shows up at my door then I'm not changing my rules.

But I do count points of veggies if it's in stuff bc the recipe builder does it for me.