October 15, 2010

Friday's Drawers: Silky, Smooth....

Best.Butternut.Squash.Soup.Evah.

I just have to write this down now so I don't forget.  Seriously, I wanted to drink this soup with a straw it was so dern good.

Ok, I actually did take a small sip with a straw. 

Whaa....I couldn't find my spoon and it was there.  It was clean.  Don't judge.

Ingredients
2 butternut squashes peeled & cubed (about 8ish cups)
2 onions chopped
1 big carrot chopped
1 apple peeled and cubed
3 T. butter
5 c chicken broth 
3/4 c. half and half
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Melt the butter on med high heat and sauté the squash, onions, carrots and apple for about 12 minutes.
  2. Pour in the chicken broth  and bring to a boil.
  3. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. Blend with a emulsion blender 
  5. Stir in the half and half.
  6. Salt & pepper to taste.
Makes 12 cups.

Notes:
Chicken Broth - I used my homemade broth - simmered chicken parts, leeks, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper

Emulsion blender - best investment ever for soups and post run smoothies...I use a Cuisinart. Local peeps, I get Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupons all the time.  E me if you want one.  The coupon I mean.

You can lighten this up by only doing 2 T of butter and 1/2 c of half and half, but I tried it with a little less and wanted it just a touch creamier.  

Oh yeah, and here is this week's share.

Romaine, kale, spinach, baby bok choy
buttercup squash, onions, green peppers
sweet potatoes, (no clue), apples, potatoes
I am so psyched for the return of the sweet potato.  There was something I was thinking of making with those as soon as they made their fine return and for the life of me I cannot remember right now.  

If anyone has a clue what that big 'ol white thing is in the middle, please fill me in.  It looks too big to be a parsnip and was such a solid white inside. It wasn't on the list that I could tell and it is new to me. 

Buttercup squash is a new one to me too. I think I have an untried recipe for those.  Though I am thinking about using the same recipe above for one or two of those ugly bad boys. Note to self....need more carrots.

Guess I have me some cooking to do....

3 comments:

Christy Z. said...

And Katy comes to my rescue....

"That's a daikon radish. Good on salads, simply peeled raw. I also found lots of quick pickle recipes when I googled it (there really good pickled an Asian resteraunt around here serves them pickled as garnishes with sushi). have fun with it!

Best,
Katey"

Delane said...

I love butternut squash soup. It is my absolute favorite!! Slurp!

The Gnome said...

I made the soup last night...it was fantastic!