May 12, 2010

Oh Boy, Tatsoi

The beauty of a CSA is that I get to try foods that I've never heard before.  Like a lot.  


This week we had Tatsoi in our weekly share. Yeah, this one I had to look up too. I snapped a pic for you.

According to The Kitchen Dictionary on Recipezaar.com, Tatsoi is a dark green Asian salad green that has a spoon like shape, a pleasant and sweet aroma flavor tlike a mild mustard flavor, similar to bok choi. It's generally eaten raw, but may be added to soups at the end of the cooking period. When tatsoi is mixed with other greens it enhances the flavor and nutritional value. Tatsoi may not be available in your regular grocery store. Specialty markets may carry it, or it can be grown from seeds, in warmer climates.

Rather than add it to a soup and I wasn't ready to add it to a salad, I decided to stir fry it with some mushrooms, butter and penne pasta.  Delish! 



Ingredients
1 box of cooked penne pasta
4 T butter
2 c mushrooms
2 bunches of tatsoi
Parmesan cheese


While the pasta is cooking, saute the mushrooms in 2T or so of butter. Once they are soft add the tatsoi for about 2 minutes until they are wilted. Add the pasta and the remaining butter in.  Toss and eat.  YUM!

1 comment:

David A. Zuzelo said...

Delicious, I thought it was Chard, but it was not. Sorry Chardlie...you can't stand up to Tatsoi!