April 01, 2010

Better than Potato Chips...Chard Chips!

Chard Chips are way, way better than potato chips.

April Fools.

That's about as April Fool's as I get.

Although, I did play a key role in "cleaning up" my co-worker's coffee. By coffee, I mean hot water with food coloring made to have the appearance of coffee.

Evil.

No one should mess with the first cup of coffee. But it *is* April Fool's Day. I am so gonna get it next year!

Ok, back to the chips.

Last night we tried to clean up potato chips and simultaneously use up the remainder of the chard that will be replaced by younger, more supple looking vegetables in today's pick up. Until then, we had a potato chip intervention and made chard chips.

In all seriousness, it is way better *for you* than a potato chip and is very easy to do. Taste like a potato chip, um no. Are you kidding me? But, yes still good.

Ingredients
chard or kale
Salt, pepper, garlic salt (optional)
Olive Oil

Directions
Cut the stems off the chard. And cut them in chip sized pieces.



Mix the oil salt, pepper and garlic salt in a bowl and toss the chard.


Spread out on a cookie sheet or baking pan and put in a 350 degree oven for about 8 mintues. WATCH THEM, because they will burn easily. A friend suggested 250 degrees for 20-30 minutes, but patience was a virtue that I didn't have last night.



Take them out of the oven and cool on a paper towel or in a brown bag to soak up the excess oil.


Once they are cool, enjoy them alone or with a chicken curry sandwich.

Yum!
Next time I think I am going to oil them first then put the salt and pepper on once they are on the sheet.

No comments: