April 15, 2010

Is there an app for that?

Yesterday's decadent crème brûlée left me feeling like I needed a cleanse.  So, Part Two of the birthday bash will have to wait a day.  We *only* get 35 extra points a week.  We can't spend them all on desserts...

I need some for wine this weekend.  

*raising a glass*

Here's to a cleanse!... Cheers!  
There is something leafy in my box and I don't know what it is. (bottom left corner) hmmmm.


Amazon has this app for your phone where you can snap a picture of a product (say you are in BestBuy) and it will find it and give you their price and put it in your cart if you want....Welp, I think there should be one for vegetables too. 


Yo, iPhone people, is there an app for that?

And while you're at it, can you tell me an app as in appetizer for that green leafy thing?

No? 

Well, you are in luck, I have one for you....


Epilogue
That leafy green goodness is called Russian Kale. Apparently it is a form of cabbage, freezes well and actually tastes sweeter after a frost. Who knew? I think it is tasty with bacon. But what isn't tasty with bacon? Mmmmmm bacon.




So what did I do with this luscious leaf? I found a wonderful recipe in the Rodale Whole Foods cookbook.


Ingredients
1lb Russian Kale
3 slices of bacon, cut in 1/4" pieces
1 lg red onion
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 c. water
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper


Directions
Steam the kale in batches if necessary, until wilted.  About 3 minutes.  Then set aside.
In the large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel. 

Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.  Stir in the red pepper flakes. 

Add the kale, bacon, water, salt and black pepper.  Cook until the kale is tender, about 4 minutes. 

Easy peasey.  And tasty too!  I had this today for lunch over quinoa.


The Tally:  72 cals (woot!)/3g fiber/3g fat.  Total recipe cost: $2.70 or $0.68/serving.

2 comments:

Dan said...

We have a sauteed kale recipe that's pretty similar. Adds a dash of red wine vinegar at the finish. Gives it a nice flavor.

Love the idea for that app. The technology is definitely out there. One of our grocery stores has something like that at the self checkout. If you don't know the produce item code or don't want to go hunting through the screens you just tell it to id the item and it uses the camera and scans it.

Christy Z. said...

Thanks Dan! I made rainbow chard the other night and completely forgot the red wine vinegar. I bet that would add a nice flavor. The thing I love about CSA veggies is they are so fresh, they taste good with just a little salt and oil.

As a crackberry addict, I don't have too many apps. I did see an app for "Dirty Produce" ones that have the worst pesticides and ones that are ok.
http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=90946&expand=false

And Locavore - finding in season veggies in your area. http://enjoymentland.com/locavore/

I'm betting there is...luckily my CSA does give us a list, but I did have to google the image & play match that produce. :)